Screens and Kids: 5 Survival Tips for Parents on the Technology Battlefield
Do you remember the time when your parents had to pull you away from the playground and drag you back into the house? If you like minni mouse toys then, kids these days prefer smartphones and laptops. That was a time when kids found solace at the playgrounds and their toys. If it was kids and toys then, it is kids and screens now. We feel that the former was a perfect combination over to the latter. Nevertheless, the damage has already been done and now what is left to do is to manage and survive the tide.
As parents, we often go with our instincts. We reward or punish our kids then and there. Basically, there are no ground rules for us to follow because we feel rules do not work. However, the actual reason could probably be that we are lazy ourselves to follow and implement certain rules in the house.
Things are about to change. Here are some tips on how parents today can survive the battle against their children in the so-called technology battleground. It is not easy and requires great perseverance. Results do not come in quick but take a lot of time. So, here we go.
- Set a particular time frame allowing or forbidding your child some screen time and stick to it.
- Ensure that techs are strictly forbidden at bedtime and for up until a while once they are up in the morning.
- Moreover, do not allow your kids to use tech while they are studying, at dinner tables, during family get-togethers, or at any other social gatherings.
- Indulge your kids in out-of-the-tech activities. For instance, if your child loves gaming, then take him out to play or if he/she loves to chat, find suitable activities where they can engage with others in a more a constructive manner.
- Punish your kids by confiscating their gadget whenever required and do not fall for their pleas and apologies.
Preventing your kids from engaging a lot with tech will help you save them from a major tech addiction. It is definitely a war between you and your kids once you start throwing rules around them but it is up to you to draw the boundaries of this battlefield.…